BEWARE! My pipe just burst in my bathroom!

Share Resident related issues with other ones

Moderators: Martini, bananamilkshake

BEWARE! My pipe just burst in my bathroom!

Postby 2buyJBR » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Ok, so you know that little water hose next to the toilet? Well, I rarely use mine (maybe to fill up the bucket to wash floors/water plants, etc) but I noticed some slight corrosion and a greenish dicolouration at the bend for a few months. Yesterday, without provocation, the corroded bit in the middle where it bends to come up, just cracked and it burst out water. I heard a slight "hissing" sound from the living room and went to check it out as my bathroom was getting generously sprayed. :shock:

I immediately turned the nozzle to the right to shut off the water. I called Idama, apparently this is a common problem, and for 95 dirham it can be fixed by a trrusty Idama technician (50 for labour, 45 for parts) because its no longer on warranty. I passed.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do? If it hasn't happened yet, check your hoses and if you see corrosion at the bend, turn the water off!

I guess I am off to Ace to fit it out myself :roll:
Go Go Go Speedracer!
2buyJBR
New

RSS

Re: BEWARE! My pipe just burst in my bathroom!

Postby mwd » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:39 pm

same thing happened in one of our bathrooms and the water would not turn off...had to pay to get it done by idama asap.

then a few days after this there was water trickling down from the roof and it turned out that the appt above us was flooded...i got idama to open the above appt, apparently the pple staying there were not in town or something but security had the keys somehow so they could open it and fix a similar leakage there that was the cause of the flooding. what if we were'nt home or mayb away for a few days. :roll:
mwd
Frequent User

RSS

Postby 2buyJBR » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:25 pm

wow - interesting.... was there any water damage to your apartment from upstairs?

I can't believe water hoses break after 16 months of use. I am freaking out that maybe the next one will be my toilet pipe! :roll:

Did Idama charge you 95 as well? Fair enough for the parts at 45 dirham but WTF is up with a 50 dirham labour charge? Its a 5 minute job, max!
Go Go Go Speedracer!
2buyJBR
New

RSS

Postby bradders » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:20 am

It seems to me that the hoses they are using are poor quality or they got them on the cheap from someone who was going to throw them away.

I wanst aware that they had master keys for the apartment, its wierd that you are not allowed to leave a key with these people for deliveries etc.. but seesm they have a key anyway?
bradders
New

RSS

Postby mwd » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:59 am

2buyJBR, fortunately i was home and panicked and pleaded idama to act fast, so there wasnt any damage to my appt...but it is possible if u r not in the hs or sleeping and u wake up with ur plasma or something else in a sudden shower from the roof. i did have to move a few things out of the water's way put loads of newspaper to not have it spreading everywhere. they didnt charge me when the upstairs appt got flooded ofcourse, and did offer to dry up my place too like they did the one upstairs. but yes i paid the 95dh when they changed the hose in my bathroom since i needed to get it fixed fast to stop it messing the whole place up.

bradders, even i doubt they have a master key, mayb the owner had luckily left it at the reception that day or something. yet another day my kid had accidently locked me out in the balcony and she was alone and couldnt open it so idama had to break the back door lock to rescue me which took about 2hrs to do...i was too thankful to have the downpour to my house stop within 10mins or so to ask how they got the keys. i have had an intresting, eventful stay at jbr...lol.
mwd
Frequent User

RSS

Postby Gashead » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:38 pm

You could always just remove it and blank off the connection.
Gashead
Forum Resident

RSS

Postby 2buyJBR » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:19 pm

do you mean turning the nozzle clockwise to stop the water flow?? How do you block it off? I have turned "off" all the hoses in my apartment now so that if you press the lever for a spray no water comes out. I am also concerned that my toilet hose may have a similar fate.

Think positive (and dry) thoughts! 8)
Go Go Go Speedracer!
2buyJBR
New

RSS

Return to Resident Issues